The American Academy of Pain Medicine’s Pain Medicine Fellowship Excellence Award
The Pain Medicine Fellowship Excellence Award recognizes pain medicine fellowship programs within the United States that are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), and provide an exceptional learning experience to their fellows, preparing them to deliver the highest standard of care to patients with pain.
Award Criteria & Eligibility
The award is intended to recognize programs whose efforts coincide with AAPM’s mission “to advance and promote the full spectrum of multidisciplinary pain care, education, advocacy, and research to improve function and quality of life for people in pain.”
Pain medicine fellowship programs within the United States, accredited by ACGME, that meet the following award criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Exemplify educational excellence, including, but not limited to:
- High-quality, comprehensive and interdisciplinary training in both acute and chronic pain, including its evaluation, treatment and management.
- Development of research opportunities that target fellows’ goals and needs.
- Receiving feedback on fellows’ performance.
- Demonstrate a commitment to providing evidence-based, safe, and patient-centered care.
- Facilitate the most rewarding fellowship experience to trainees, including (but not limited to) work-life balance and opportunities to pursue interests and accomplish their professional goals.
Past recipients are eligible to reapply five years after receiving the award.
The 2021 award application is expected to open in Fall 2020. Pain Medicine Fellowship Programs will be notified when the 2021 application process opens.
2020: Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowship Program of the University of Chicago Medical Center
2019: University of California San Diego Pain Medicine Fellowship Program
2018: Johns Hopkins Pain Medicine Fellowship Program; NYU Langone Health Pain Medicine Fellowship Program
2017: Stanford Pain Medicine Fellowship Program
2016: Cleveland Clinic; Medical College of Wisconsin; University of California, Davis; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
2015: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Brookline, MA; Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
2014: Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami (JMH/UM), Miami, FL
2013: Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA