AAPM is a place where you can grow
The American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM) is committed to offering the leadership, education, and networking tools that pain medicine physicians in training need to grow their careers.
Discounted membership is available for students, residents, fellows, and first-year practitioners.
AAPM offers pain medicine physicians in training yearly membership dues rate of $50 during medical school, residency, and fellowship, with a significantly reduced dues rate of $100 during their first year in practice. This membership provides access to all AAPM member benefits, while getting established in your pain medicine career.
Gain experience while getting noticed through AAPM leadership and research publication opportunities for residents and fellows
As a former resident and trainee member, AAPM provided me with an opportunity to share my clinical interests with others and enhance our knowledge in pain medicine. As a current member, I continue to benefit from membership services through advances in pain education, advocacy, career development, and practice improvement.”
–Charles De Mesa, DO, MPH, Assistant Professor, Director, Pain Medicine Fellowship, Division of Pain Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of California, Davis
The AAPM Trainee Committee is comprised of resident, fellows, and early career-level AAPM members who are charged with serving as a liaison to the AAPM Board of Directors. AAPM leadership committees >
The Resident Fellow Education Shared Interest Group is dedicated to developing potential projects and initiatives within pain at the graduate medical education level and oversee the pain medicine fellowship scholarship program. AAPM SIGs >
The Residents’ and Fellows’ Forum in AAPM’s journal Pain Medicine provides residents and pain fellows a novel forum for publication is advancing the boundaries of postgraduate pain education. This journal section covers case reports, small case series, innovative use of technology in clinical practice, informatics, descriptions of innovative solutions to difficult clinical problems, and observations from pilot studies. W. Michael Hooten, MD and Kayode Williams, MD introduced the section in this November 2019 editorial >
Access to in-person and virtual pain medicine education is included in membership and provides unparalleled learning and networking opportunities
The AAPM Annual Meeting is typically a 5-day in-person educational event that AAPM trainee members can attend at significantly reduced rates. AAPM 2021 will be held virtually, on dates to be determined, and calls for education session proposals and scientific poster abstracts will be available during summer 2020. Join the AAPM 2021 mail list to receive updates about the meeting and calls for participation >
- Pain Program Director, Fellow, Resident and Student Meet & Greet where trainees have the opportunity to network with program directors from across the country.
- The AAPM Women in Pain Medicine Shared Interest Group (SIG) reception provides a meeting place for those with an interest in recruiting and nurturing the careers of women in pain medicine to connect and engage in conversation.
- Opportunities to present and discuss the latest pain education available. AAPM 2020 featured an all-day research track. Browse AAPM 2020 research highlights >
- Each year AAPM presents a fellowship program with the Pain Medicine Fellowship Excellence Award. Learn about the award and view past recipients >
AAPM members receive free and discounted access to a robust library of on demand educational courses and live activities, including:
- Pain Fellows’ Education and Research During COVID-19
- Pain Medicine Fellowship and Beyond: Lessons Learned from the Experts
- Advanced Procedures for Pain Practice: Patient Selection, Performance, Documentation and Billing: Pain Medicine Trainees Special Session
- Members have been granted open access to full libraries of the 2019 and 2018 Annual Meeting On Demand courses through the end of the year.