The ICD-10-CM update for 2020 has been released. The 2020 ICD-10-CM codes are to be used from October 1, 2019 through September 30, 2020. The 2020 edition contains 273 additions, 30 code revisions and 21 deletions.
The ICD-CM code set in the United States is maintained by the ICD Coordination and Maintenance Committee. This committee includes representatives from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This committee reviews all requests for changes or additions to the code set. The Director of NCHS and the Administrator of CMS make the final coding data set decisions. Changes become effective October 1 of each year.
There are no new codes in Chapter 6 (Diseases of the Nervous System (G00-G99)) or Chapter 13 (Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue (M00-M99)). Both chapters have revisions to inclusion codes and terminology but they do not impact the appropriate reporting of the codes.
Chapter 21 (Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Services (Z00-Z99)) also has changes to the inclusion terms for the sub-category Z45.42 as well as a change in the title of this sub-category. ICD-10 2020 changes the title of the sub-category from (Encounter for Adjustment and Management of Neuropacemaker (brain) (peripheral nerve) (spinal cord)) to (Encounter for Adjustment and Management of Implanted Nervous System Device). It also adds the following inclusion terms to the sub-category:
- Encounter for adjustment and management of brain neurostimulator
- Encounter for adjustment and management of gastric neurostimulator
- Encounter for adjustment and management of peripheral nerve neurostimulator
- Encounter for adjustment and management of sacral nerve neurostimulator
- Ecounter for adjustment and management of spinal cord neurostimulator
- Encounter for adjustment and management of vagus nerve neurostimulator
View files related to ICD-10-CM, which can be accessed in both PDF and XML formats.