The American Academy of Pain Medicine’s Pain Medicine Fellowship Excellence Award
The Pain Medicine Fellowship Excellence Award recognizes pain medicine fellowship programs within the United States that are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), and provide an exceptional learning experience to their fellows, preparing them to deliver the highest standard of care to patients with pain.
Award Criteria & Eligibility
The award is intended to recognize programs whose efforts coincide with AAPM’s mission “to advance and promote the full spectrum of multidisciplinary pain care, education, advocacy, and research to improve function and quality of life for people in pain.”
Pain medicine fellowship programs within the United States, accredited by ACGME, that meet the following award criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Exemplify educational excellence, including, but not limited to:
- High-quality, comprehensive and interdisciplinary training in both acute and chronic pain, including its evaluation, treatment and management.
- Development of research opportunities that target fellows’ goals and needs.
- Receiving feedback on fellows' performance.
- Demonstrate a commitment to providing evidence-based, safe, and patient-centered care.
- Facilitate the most rewarding fellowship experience to trainees, including (but not limited to) work-life balance and opportunities to pursue interests and accomplish their professional goals.
Past recipients are eligible to reapply five years after receiving the award.
A completed application signed by the Program Director must be submitted to AAPM to be considered. Applications will be received for the 2020 Pain Medicine Fellowship Excellence Award through Monday, September 9, 2019. Invitations to apply were sent to ACGME Pain Medicine Fellowships in July 2019.
AAPM will appoint pain fellowship training experts to serve on the selection panel. The panel will adhere to the established and published award criteria.
The number of programs recognized will be determined by the selection panel.
Honoring Award Recipients
The award for each recognized program will be presented during the AAPM Annual Meeting. Each recognized program will receive:
- Two complimentary registrations for fellows to attend AAPM’s Annual Meeting.
- An award logo with the year the award was received to be used by the recognized program indefinitely.
- An announcement in AAPM's E-News and on the Academy’s website.
- Formal presentation of the award during the AAPM Annual Meeting.
- Recognition at AAPM's Pain Medicine Program Director, Fellow, Resident, and Student Reception.
- Recognition in Pain Medicine, the official journal of AAPM.
2019: University of California San Diego Pain Medicine Fellowship Program
2018: Johns Hopkins Pain Medicine Fellowship Program; NYU Langone Health Pain Medicine Fellowship Program
2017: Stanford Pain Medicine Fellowship Program
2016: Cleveland Clinic; Medical College of Wisconsin; University of California, Davis; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
2015: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Brookline, MA; Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
2014: Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami (JMH/UM), Miami, FL
2013: Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA